Friday 6 November 2009

This is the contents page to the magazine Kerrang! The magazine focuses on the Metal genre of music. I chose this to emphasize my willingness to stray out of my comfort zone when analysing media pieces, as well as the stark contrast to the magazines I have previously deconstructed; Mojo and Rolling Stone.
Clearly, the conventions we have came to expect from music magazines are adhered too strictly in this piece, as we can see the page numbers accompanying the band/album/concert name that is relevant to the piece. In addition to this, the editors notes are clearly prevalent, which only adds to the idea that Kerrang! magazine aim to follow the aforementioned conventions.
Further dissection of the image has drawn me to conclude that the magazine aims to produce a clear sharp piece, I can justify this opinion by looking at the main title and also contents separators, both have bold sharp yellow text placed on a black background. The black background contrasts so much with the yellow that it was the first thing I noticed upon viewing the page. It also leads me to believe that these colours are the housestyle of the magazine, as the pictures in the centre have also got the page numbers noted, in the colours mentioned.
In additon to this, I believe the magazine fits suitably into the genre it portrays very well, the style of music is edgy rather than inoffensive and it is clear from the pictures chosen by the editor that the magazine too fits in with those conventions, as shown by the pictures with artists in action and in the case of the Lamb of God image, that the artist is screaming down the microphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment